Saturday, January 22, 2011

Finally... A Beginning!


Mama & The Monkey

My apologies for being late... I had every intention of starting this blog 4 months ago, just after the Monkey was born but I'm afraid I was a little indisposed. Had I been able to separate myself from my breastpump for longer than thirty seconds, I might have had a fighting chance, but alas, I was caught up in a never ending cycle of feeding and pumping that left me feeling like an aging jersey cow (with an udder to match!).  Creativity does not come easily to those surviving on 5 hours sleep a night, let me assure you!

I now exist on Monkey Time... a fluid, ever changeable zone that ensures nothing is ever achieved in the order or time-frame one would expect.  I was amazed to discover that my tiny offspring simply refused to sleep or wake or eat when he was supposed to. I soon discovered that 'making plans' was a luxury afforded only to those without a precious little parcel of baby goodness to look after. In our house, to make any appointment on time takes an act of God... to start a blog requires divine intervention plus a Jolly Jumper!

The Monkey is now four and a half months old and I'm pleased to report that my sense of humour has made a timely, and much anticipated return. My husband was worried... for a while there he thought humour had simply wandered out of the camp in the middle of the night, never to be seen or heard of again.  Thankfully, laughter is once again the muzak of our lives, with the added accompaniment of a baby chuckle.  It is impossible to be prepared for the magic of the journey - it really is incredible being the Mama of a Monkey!


Photo by Andre

3 comments:

Elissa said...

Awww....look what I found!

Jane said...

Oh, Honey! You couldn't help yourself ☺. It's so delightful to see you here (especially in that divine photo - why don't you make that your profile pic?).

No need to apologise. Most people know how hard, challenging, captivating and exhausting that first year with a baby is. Especially your first-born.

I find it miraculous that you've even managed to start another blog at all. Don't put yourself under pressure - we're not going anywhere!

Leo is just the cutest chap, especially with that impish grin. I'm not surprised you call him the Monkey!

Oh, and another divine header. What program do you use? It's the bees' knees, whatever it is. J x

Geisslein said...

The picture is SO CUTE!
Wish you a lovely day.